Sunday, May 15, 2011

My "should've been" Saturday post w/Poe

Yikes! My original "post later" post disappeared & I apologize for not checking earlier.

On Thursday, whilst Blogger was down I had a chance to play in my craft room. I'd found Claudine Hellmuth's first DVD from 2005 while cleaning & had some fun with her techniques! I took a piece of Canvas panel, slathered it up with gel medium and placed torn pages of ephemera, in this case from a book written in Chinese. After it dried, I used a wash of various acrylic paints and dabbed randomly. While it was still wet I placed masking tape pieces side by side on the canvas and started ripping them off. Where the papers are wet will cause them to separate so you actually see the underside of the ephemera. Let it dry thoroughly then remove the remaining tape pieces. To keep it all down I covered the entire panel with matte medium & let dry. Next up was the peeled paint technique, using petroleum jelly randomly as a resist to a layer of red acrylic paint. When the paint was dry, you just take a paper towel & rub off the petroleum jelly & excess paint. I love how it resembles smeared blood. Made a second sheet using sheet music for use at a later date.

I then layered a piece of black mulberry paper & a piece of silk that I fringed. It's such a pretty pattern (yeah, I found that while cleaning too ), that I might move things around so I can see it better. Using one of Smeared Ink's digi stamp from the "hearts" set, I printed it along with the book title on a piece of Extrav-organza & distress them with Antique Linen & Vintage Photo Distress Inks. The heart and Poe image are also from Smeared Ink, in this case the "Quoth the Raven" rubber sheet which is my favorite one of all!!!!! The heart was stamped using Fired Brick Distress Ink & a leftover piece of Extrav-organza (fun stuff to use sheer & printable). I secured the heart to the panel with a lovely pin from Scraps of Darkness. My beloved's face (of course I'd have to fight Black Dragon for him) was stamped on cardstock & distressed as well. I also added a couple of acetate pieces from K & Co's Que Sera Sera line.

I'll be using this on the box that houses my first day covers from Edgar Allan Poe. Hope you liked it.

1 comment:

  1. I. Love. This!!! All the layers and work you put into it really paid off! It is just too cool!!!