Friday, July 22, 2011

Product Pandemonium: A Tutorial!

A few weeks ago, I was uber lucky to win a custom drawn did by Christy Croll from Tiddly Inks! It took me a while to figure out what I wanted (thank goodness for Christy’s patience!) but we finally worked it out to be a witch (no big surprise, right?) with a crow as her familiar. I chose a crow for a whole lot of reasons, and I thought he would make the perfect companion for my little witch. I must tell you, that I ADORE the way she came out! And I love that it was a collaboration of sorts. It was truly wonderful, and I am honored to introduce you now to “Witch Alison!”

Seriously, isn’t she awesome?!? Don’t you want her for yourself??? Fingers crossed (and perhaps a kind email or two) that Christy will release her in the Fall! This first version (of many, many more to come!) was done entirely with markers. All watercolors sans her skin (Copics).

Of course, I couldn’t leave her unmounted…so I created this card for her. Along with a tutorial just for YOU!!! Here is the completed card:

There are many, many layers and products used for it. Wanna learn how to do it yourself? Here we go!!!

I’m calling this “Product Pandemonium,” because I used lots of things to create this look, but if you don’t have all of the things I used, have no fear! You can still make something rad using less layers! Here’s what I used:

Chalk, Stamps (clear and rubber), Versa Mark Ink, Glue Pad, Pigment Ink, Glitter, Glimmer Mist, Glimmer Screen

IMG_1918

Here are some of the product I used. As I was making the card, my original plan (which was to just use chalk, stamps, and Versa Mark), morphed into the completed project.

I of course had Witch Alison colored and cut out beforehand.

IMG_1920

I started off by using Smeared Ink’s Urban Decay set. This set is a total must have! I inked it well with Versa Mark. The stamp I’m using is the one you see in the watermarked sheet at the bottom.

I stamped it several times over the entire card, trying to get the images to blend as seamlessly as possibly. You can’t really see this in a photo since it’s a clear ink, so you’ll have to take my word for it. ;)

IMG_1922

Then I went in with my chalk. I used Chalklet Puffs (from EK Success) to apply the chalk. You can use a Q-Tip, but they break down pretty fast. You can see the texture from the stamp showing through. Please click on any of my photos to see it bigger.

IMG_1923

Then I moved on to purple. See how cool the image looks?

IMG_1924

After I finished that, I decided that I still needed more texture. So I went back in with a different Urban Decay stamp and added it to where there’s negative space.

IMG_1925

I chalked it with grey. See it? It’s like tire treads.

IMG_1926

Lookin’ good…but it still needs more. Enter Glimmer Screen and Mist.

IMG_1927

I used the color Raven (no really. That’s what it’s called!), with my Halloween tree Glimmer Screen. Sprayed it 2x. You can see the screen in the top right. Now this covered the chalky goodness I created  a wee bit more than I would have liked. I should have kept the spray closer to the card to get a more concentrated spritz. But, it still looks cool.

IMG_1929

Then I stamped the tree (it’s made to go with the screen) using purple pigment ink. You don’t want to place it directly on top of the non-sprayed area…slightly off center is what you should be going for.

IMG_1931

Next, I grabbed my Smeared Ink Quoth the Raven set, and pulled out this harlequin pattern. I inked it using the 2 greens you see here. This ink is from Color Box. I don’t know what I would do without them. I have 5 of these sets. I use them on everything!They’re called Petal Points.

IMG_1934

I stamped them a couple of times and then added the “Quoth the Raven” sentiment to the bottom. But it still needs more!!!

IMG_1935

I broke out my Glue Pad and some super fine lavender glitter and went to town. Inking and glittering random spots around the edges. While I did all of these steps, I kept placing Witch Alison on to the card to see where I wanted to add things, and if I needed to keep going. See how sparkly it is?

IMG_1938

After I glittered the card up, I decided it was just about finished. I added a mess of pop dots to Witch Alison, and stuck her on to her new home.

And here she is again, completed. What do you think? Really, this tutorial is all about playing with those fun products you have laying around. You don’t always need to add a bajillion expensive 3D embellishments. Use those tools that you have…ink, sprays, stamps, glitter, to create fabulous backgrounds. I hope you enjoyed my tutorial, and that you’ll try it for yourself. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

3 comments:

  1. OMG, Alison! what a fabulous TUT! I'm dying to get more creative with backgrounds and this is just the ticket. LOVE the fabulous layers. Have never seen the mask/stamps. Or maybe I have but didn't realize how FAB they were. LOVE it and Witch Alison is is coolist EVER! Lucky You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love how you created that background! Thanks for sharing it with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh scrummy and your little witchy is FAB isn't she ?? Thanks for sharing the cool TuT :-)
    Ike xx

    ReplyDelete